Dr. Matthew Thom, FACS works with Dr. Kenneth Aldridge, Dr. Howard Winfield and Dr. Mrinal Dhar in the practice of treating diseases and conditions of the genitourinary tract. He is married with three young children.
He grew up in Gainesville, Ga., and graduated from Oglethorpe University, where he received the prestigious LeConte Excellence in Science award and participated in collegiate basketball and tennis. Dr. Thom received his doctorate of medicine degree graduating Magna Cum Laude from the Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University in Augusta, Ga., and was elected as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society. Dr. Thom completed his internship and residency training in urologic surgery at Washington University in St. Louis and was the recipient of the Resident in Excellence award.
Dr. Thom treats both benign and cancerous conditions and diseases of the male and female genitourinary system. He has a special interest in minimally invasive/laparoscopic/robotic procedures for renal, prostate, bladder and female pelvic diseases. His work has been published in professional journals and textbooks. Dr. Thom has presented his research at several professional meetings and is active in the American Urological Association as a guest speaker at the annual AUA meeting.
Certifications and Memberships
Dr. Thom is board certified in urology by the American Board of Urology and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He is a member of the American Urological Association and Medical Association of the State of Alabama. He is currently immediate past president of the Tucaloosa County Medical Society and on the board for the county health department. Dr. Thom is a member of DCH Health System Patient Care committee and Pharmacy and Therapeutics committee at DCH Regional hospital.
- Thom MR, Winfield HN. Informed Consent in Minimally Invasive Urology in Minimally Invasive Urology: An Essential Clinical Guide to Endourology, Laparoscopy, LESS and Robotics. ISBN 978-1-4939-1317-6
- Thom MR. Treating androgen deficiency in the aging male: a Urologist perspective. Thom MR, Hassebuddin M, Roytman TM, et al. Robot-assisted pyeloplasty: Outcomes for primary and secondary repairs, a single institution experience. Int Braz J Urol. 2012 Jan;38(1):77-83
- Abbosh PH, Thom MR, Bullock A. Laparascopic Capsulotomy to Treat Autoinflation of Inflatable Penile Prostheses. J Sex Med. 2011 Oct 24.
- Meeks JJ, Brandes SB, Morey AF, Thom M et al. Urethroplasty for radiotherapy induced bulbomembranous strictures: a multi-institutional experience. J Urol. 2011 May; 185 (5):1761-5
- Thom M, Campigotto M., Vemulakonda V., Coplen D, Austin PF. Management of lower urinary tract dysfunction: A stepwise approach. J Pediatr Urol. 2011 Mar
- Thom MR and Klutke, CG. Transobturator midurethral sling: surgical technique and outcomes. Curr Urol Rep. 2009 Sep; 10 (5):390-5
- Shapiro E, Thom MR, Brandes SB. Laparoscopic nephrectomy in a patient with situs inversus totalis: initial case report. Urotoday International Journal. 2010 Jun (3)
- Thom MR, Klutke CG. Submucosal injection of triamcinolone for Hunner’s ulcer type interstitial cystitis.